Sunday 7 November 2010

Weighing things up!

I don't know why, but I seem to do things back to front.  In the Summer when everyone else is watching their weight I'm happily eating what ever I like and throwing caution to the wind and when everyone else is eating their winter warmer casseroles and roast dinners in the Autumn and Winter, I'm getting my recipe books out looking for ways to lose weight.


Yesterday when I was in the supermarket with my very long list of required elements to weight loss I spent £105!  On hearing the total I piped up, "Why is it so expensive to lose weight?"  The lady looked at me quizzically on the counter and said, "Isn't it an odd time to be starting a diet?".  The response was rather easy, as I realised why the diet suits me better at this time.  Have you noticed how early it gets dark these days?  By 4.30pm it is dusk and by 5pm it is well and truely dark.  I don't know about you, but with the clocks changing back recently too, I'm finding myself yawning myself silly by 10pm and ready to get tucked up in bed.  This means I'm having a much shorter day in comparison to the Summer months, where I'll happily stay up until 1am in the morning, which often results in an extra little cheese and biccy snack.  Whereas now my evening meal easily sees me through until the following day.
Not the diet for me!

So... today after pouring over several 'Slimming World' cookery books yesterday and planning out my whole weeks eating events I am starting my latest diet.  I am quite looking forward to it.  Normally I am quite scatty and ill prepared when it comes to cooking and never know from one day to the next what might be put on the table, so to know in advance is quite exciting and my taste buds are looking forward to the delights coming their way.  What I especially love about Slimming World is that there is no or very little limit to what you can eat, so you don't have to feel hungry, the success is all in the planning.  You need to know what you can eat during those moments of inbetween meals hunger, so you don't spoil the good work you are doing and make sure you have these things at hand.

I have been kind of mindful of what I should be eating before today's official start.  For instance yesterday I decided was going to be an 'original' day, as I was going to the Harvester with a lovely friend in the evening.  With this in mind I had 3 rashers of lean bacon, 2 sausages, some tinned tomotoes reduced in a pan with salt and pepper, mushrooms lightly sauted in a tspn of olive oil and a poached egg.  Hard to believe, but this is all acceptable food on the Slimming World diet.  Another thing I learned the last time, is that protein based foods make you feel full much longer.  It's always a good idea to start the day with an egg or something protein if you can, as it really will see you through to lunch time.  This was a fine start of the day for me and easily saw me through to my 8pm meal.  A brunch fit for a king!

At the Harvester and faced with temptation!  I actually started really well.  I had one of their bottomless glasses of diet coke, so no calories there and ordered the spit roast and asked for the skin to be taken off and a small baked potato instead of chips.  I then filled up my free salad and allowed myself some low cal mayo and devils sauce, mmmm... It was really yummy!  If I had of stopped there I would have had a proper original day with no syns, but... my friend wanted pudding and I broke at the last hurdle.  I had a very delicious dessert called a 'Rocky Horror' and it consisted of chocolate brownie, hot chocolate sauce and cornish icecream.  It did have squirty cream and wafers on top too, but I ditched those in a bowl.  No point wasting calories on food that you're not that bothered by.  It was truely yummy and a last naughty before putting my head down.


I'm glad to say a friend of mine has also taken up the challenge.  On Monday morning I am to weigh myself and a week later record my weight loss and he will be doing the same.  The winner is the one to have lost the most weight.  No point lying as I would only be fooling myself and I'm absolutely up for the challenge.  I'm currently a size 14/16 dress size and have recently bought a few items of clothing that are shall we say 'on the snug side'.   My hope is to be able to fit in them all comfortably by the end of this month.  I'll then revise for a new goal and see where it takes me, but don't worry, I have no intention of getting rid of my curves.  They are here to stay!


No comments:

Post a Comment